St. Gregory’s Department of Education offers excellent preparation for those who desire to teach the next generation of students. Our accredited programs lead to bachelor’s degrees and initial licensure in Elementary or Secondary Education. Students who want to teach on the high school level will focus on Secondary Education and may choose to specialize in English, Biology, Mathematics or Social Studies.
In addition to coursework, Education majors spend a considerable amount of time in actual elementary and secondary school classrooms. The culmination of each Education major’s training will be actual student teaching. Student teachers are placed in public and private schools in districts in and surrounding Shawnee and Oklahoma City. Mentored by a faculty supervisor and a cooperating teacher, the student teacher will apply the knowledge
gained through coursework and field experiences to actual teaching.
One hundred percent of St. Gregory’s Education program completers take the state certification exams and either receive teaching positions or are accepted to graduate school. SGU currently has elementary and secondary teacher graduates employed in Arklahoma, Edmond, McLoud, Meeker, Midwest City, Oklahoma City, Norman, Putnam City, Shawnee, Tecumseh and Norman, in addition to Catholic schools throughout Oklahoma.
Explore our Education Degree Programs
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Social Science with a Major in Early Childhood Education (Adult Degree)
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education Life Science/Biology
- Bachelor of Arts in Secondary English Education
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Math Education
- Bachelor of Social Science in Secondary Social Studies Education
- Bachelor of Science in Mid-Level Math Education
- Dr. Gayle Fischer, Assistant Professor/Department Chair