Early Childhood Education
St. Gregory’s Department of Education offers excellent preparation for those who desire to teach Pre-K to 2nd Grade. The Early Childhood Degree is offered through the College of Continuing Studies in an accelerated format. Our accredited program leads to either an associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree and initial licensure in Early Childhood Education.
In addition to coursework, Early Childhood majors spend a considerable amount of time in actual classrooms with the culmination of each Early Childhood major’s training concluding with actual student teaching. Student teachers are placed in public and private schools in districts surrounding Shawnee and Oklahoma City. Mentored by a faculty supervisor and a cooperating teacher, the student teacher will apply the knowledge gained through coursework and field experiences to actual teaching.
The accelerated format provided by St. Gregory’s College of Continuing Studies provides adult learners with the opportunity to earn a degree by attending class one evening a week from 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. Each class generally lasts for a six weeks, and classes are offered in a year around format.
Early Childhood Teacher (PreK-2) - Public, Private, or Parochial School; Lead Teacher or Manager- Day Care Center, Headstart Center; Director- Camp
- Psychology of Students with Exceptionalities
- Catholic Perspectives on Education
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Foundations of Teaching
- Early Childhood Reading Assessment and Instruction
- Theory to Practice in Early Childhood
- Methods of Integrating Fine Arts in Early Childhood Education
- Adult friendly, meant to allow students to maintain a work and/or family life while pursing a advanced education
- Classes are offered in eight week format
- Flexible scheduling allows students to work at their own pace by taking one to two courses at a time
- We provide Prior Learning Assessments to all students and recognize Military benefits
Our degree program is thoughtfully designed to meet the needs of busy working professionals. Whether you're currently employed, changing careers or thinking about re-entering the workforce, our program makes it possible to earn your college degree conveniently and in an accelerated format.
St. Gregory's University is staffed with dedicated people who are committed to providing a quality, affordable education and helping you turn your dreams into reality.