Public Relations and Media Manager
Department: Marketing & Development
Reports to: Director of Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt
Serve as the University’s public relations professional and social media and advertising manager. Work with the Director of Communications to implement the University’s communications strategy.
Essential Job Functions:
- Public Relations
- Develop and maintain positive relations with media
- Serve as university liaison to media and coordinate all interviews and contact
- Produce and distribute press releases to media and other constituents regarding university events, activities, programs, students and personnel
- Market stories to specific media
- Produce and disseminate university statements in conjunction with the Office of the President
- Prepare and accompany the president and/or other university spokespeople for media interviews
- Coordinate public communications from university departments
- Oversee and update news portion of website
- Assist in the production of scripts and other materials for university events such as commencement, homecoming and inauguration.
- Coordinate the information gathering process for annual reports and surveys
- Facilitate ways to secure contact, biographical and professional information of alumni
- Social Media:
- Design and deliver web and social media campaigns to achieve University objectives, including using interactive web spaces
- Manage social media campaigns and day-to-day activities.
- Manage presence in social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter and other similar community sites, posting on relevant blogs and seeding content into social applications as needed
- Monitor effective benchmarks for measuring the impact of social media programs and analyze, review and report on effectiveness of campaigns in an effort to maximize results
- Monitor trends in social media tools, trends and applications
- Coordinate all print, television and electronic advertising
- Conduct ad research, place ads, track ad success
- Manage vendor relationships including negotiating price, delivery schedules and payment
- Work with Director of Communications in designing and producing ads
- Photography and Video
- Coordinate photography for publicity, newsletters, the website and social media
- Take photos and video at select campus events
- Edit photography for correct dimension and size for media
- Ensure students involved in publicity have signed releases on file
Bachelor’s Degree in public relations, journalism, communication or related field and at least two years’ experience in public relations, university communications or related field. Applicant must have strong writing, editing, proofreading, verbal and interpersonal skills; experience working in a busy, fast-paced environment with proven ability to motivate others and contribute effectively to team objectives.
Occasional weekend and evening hours are expected on as-needed basis. Off-campus and state travel will be required and some out of state travel may be required.
Physical/Mental Demands Required:
Primarily sedentary work requiring the ability to lift/carry a maximum of 25 pounds; physical requirements include frequent bending, standing, walking; continuous ability for speech communication and hearing in order to communicate with employees and the public, vision for reading, recording and interpreting information, and ability to sit for long hours at a time. Mental demands require continuous ability for both oral and written communication; frequent problem solving and concentration; and occasional analytical ability and creativity. Frequent hand/eye coordination to operate personal computer and office equipment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Revised: October 10, 2013