Security Officer - Part Time
Reports to: Security Sergeant & Director of Security
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Strive to protect the lives and property of the St Gregory’s campus and the community while serving as a field officer, facilitate the protection of the lives and property of the campus community through accurate maintenance of inventories and timely repair or replacement of equipment; through training and supervision of dispatchers and officers in accordance with established goals and in accordance with the departments standard operating procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
• Conduct active foot and mobile patrol of the campus in all weather conditions and at all times of the day and night. Detain criminal suspects and apprehend criminals, under procedures established by the security department and under direction from supervisors.
• Issue tickets to vehicles parked on campus in violation of parking regulations, and to immobilize vehicles which have accumulated excessive tickets.
• To complete reports; these include information, incident, and accident reports.
• To provide emergency assistance during natural emergencies, fires, accidents, or personal injuries.
• To orally communicate campus regulations, rules, and policies to members of the campus community and others on campus.
• To communicate, with dispatchers and other officers, field activity via hand-held radio, and to receive information from such sources via hand-held radio.
• Patrols assigned areas on foot, checking for fires, vandalism, suspicious activity or persons or safety/fire hazards.
• Investigates and/or reports hazards, unusual or suspicious circumstances for correction or follow- up actions; maintains contact with campus dispatch.
• Checks doors and windows of buildings to ensure they are tightly closed and locked; notes in written log any unlocked doors/windows; submits information to supervisor.
• Observes activity and traffic in assigned area to enforce university rules/regulations; alerts visitors of infractions.
• Assists any persons in building or on grounds needing directions or campus information.
• Escorts people/property to desired destination when monies, documents or safety of property or persons are a concern.
• Responds to alarms and dispatched calls; decides what actions to take based on situation, facts known and position limitations.
• Decides when incident requires written report; decides which report form to use and submits as required by policy, procedure, or as directed.
• Unlocks buildings/doors after checking identification and compliance with university policies.
• May assist law enforcement officers with crowd control and surveillance at large public events.
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge of basic security and fire inspection procedures; skill in both verbal and written communication; basic computer skills; skill in observing situations and decision making; skill in dealing courteously with public; one year experience in police or security field preferred; C.L.E.E.T Certification is preferred. An equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved can be substituted for Certifications. Possession of current Oklahoma driver's license upon employment may be required for specified positions.
Training and Continuing Education Requirements:
St. Gregory’s University Security Officers participate in both external and internal training programs throughout the year. All security officers who work for St. Gregory’s University Security will participate and complete training and certifications in an ongoing continuing education training program. The content and frequency of any and all mandatory training will be administered as the Director of Security deems them to be needed and beneficial to the Department. Training will all be completed on a timeline or deadline basis which will be determined by the Director of Security.
Physical/Mental Demands Required:
Primarily physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 75 pounds; occasional lifting, carrying, walking long distances, driving and standing for long periods of time; frequent hand/eye coordination to operate computer and office equipment; vision for reading, recording and interpreting information; speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and the public.
Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time; direct traffic and conduct foot patrols of parking areas during inclement weather; and must possess the ability to stand a post during ballgames, graduations and special events. Directing traffic and patrolling parking lots on foot, for several hours at a time, is a necessary part of this position.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.