See the First New Grotesque
The restoration of Benedictine Hall took an important step forward on the morning of August 8, 2013, when the first grotesque was placed on top of the building's new southwestern tower.
St. Gregory's grotesques, the human and animal figures that decorate Benedictine Hall, were part of the original 1915 design of the building. The two different styles of tower grotesques were seated in a ring around each of Benedictine Hall's four turrets. When the turrets were destroyed by earthquake damage in November 2011, 22 of the grotesques were lost or found to be damaged beyond repair. Ten surviving pieces have been preserved and were used as molds for the design of the 32 new grotesques that will be placed on the building.
A team of masons is currently bricking in Benedictine Hall's new southeastern and southwestern turrets. The steel infrastructures for the northern turrets are expected to arrive in late August.