Track & Field and Cross Country Assistant Coach
Reports to: Track & Field and Cross Country Coach & Athletic Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
The assistant coach will provide assistance in all areas of the sport to the head coach. This is a part time position. Demonstrated ability to coach field events, preferable throwing events.
Essential Job Functions:
• Recruiting—assist with year-round recruitment of high school and junior college athletes
• Scouting—be able to evaluate both the players and the teams that we play as well as high school and junior college players
• Skill development—maintain knowledge of offensive and defensive strategies
• Coaching during games and practice
• Study hall-- supervision with players
• Other duties assigned by head coach—ex. help and organize summer camps
• Represent SGU in a professional manner
• Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree required. A strong commitment to the Student-Athlete concept and a working knowledge of the NAIA & SAC rules and regulations is required. One to three years coaching experience including effective leadership, communication, coaching and recruiting skills is preferred. Coaching at the collegiate level preferred. Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) required.
Physical/Mental Demands Required:
Primarily sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 25 pounds; occasional lifting, carrying, walking, driving and standing; frequent hand/eye coordination to operate personal computer and office equipment; vision for reading, recording and interpreting information; speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and the public. Possess the physical skills necessary to demonstrate techniques.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.