My grade point average does not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Have I lost my financial aid for the academic year?

Financial Aid Services reviews SAP at the end of every semester. If you are deficient, you will be placed on warning for the following semester.

Freshmen students are required to earn a minimum 1.7 grade point average (GPA); sophomore, 1.9; and junior /senior, 2.0. In addition, you must have successfully completed a minimum of 66.67% of your coursework to maintain adequate academic pace. For example, if you are a freshman with a grade point average less than 1.7 the end of the Fall 2013 semester, you will be placed on financial aid warning for the Spring 2014 semester, and your financial aid will disburse for the spring. At the end of the Spring 2014 semester, SAP is reviewed again. If you have met all of the conditions of your warning period, your GPA exceeds 1.7, and completion rate is above 66.67%, you will be taken off of warning. If you have not met all criteria, you will be placed on financial aid suspension. Your financial aid disbursement for the following Summer or Fall 2014 semester is suspended from disbursing.

Warning periods are at the discretion of the Financial Aid Services. You may be placed on suspension immediately if you fail to earn a grade higher than "F" in all coursework.

However, the university offers you a second chance to make the grade. If there are extraordinary circumstances surrounding your academic performance, you may submit a Petition for Reinstatement to the Financial Aid Office along with any documentation of illness, injury or family emergency if applicable. Your circumstances will be taken into consideration and, if the petition is approved, you will be taken off of suspension and placed on probation for the following semester.

You can also register for summer courses to help improve your GPA prior to the Fall semester. To learn more about the petition process, please review our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy and contact the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions or concerns.